Sunday, September 26, 2010

Twitter Will Take Over!

I'm going to start this post off by saying "Yes, I have a Twitter."

Yes, I have a Twitter.

For any of you who don't have a Twitter, I'll give you a run down.  You can post status updates and pictures to your page, and anyone who follows you will see them.  And anyone who wants to follow you can follow you, unless you block them.  You can communicate with other Twitter members directly and indirectly.  You can send private (direct) messages to a user, but only if you follow them and they follow you.  You can also tag any user in a post.  For instance:

"@JohnGallagherJr you're the best actor ever!"

Now John Gallagher Jr. will see that I have said something about him in a post.  I'm not sure exactly how this works.  I'll explain later.

Another cool thing about Twitter is you can post updates from your phone in the form of a text message, and also of the people you follow you can choose which updates will be sent to your mobile phone for whatever it costs you to receive a text message.  I like to have them all sent to my phone, because I don't actually go on Twitter very often.  It doesn't tell you which notifications are new, it just gives you a feed (kind of like Facebook's) of all of the recent updates of whom you follow.

See how I blocked out my username? HA.  But that's what it looks like.




Because I get messages to my phone I don't know exactly what happens when you're tagged in a post, because if one of the people I follow says something about me it goes straight to my phone.  Will have to look into this...

Now to the taking-over-the-world-part of this.  On Facebook you can send status updates from your phone, and you can set it so when someone sends you a message or comments on your photo or status or something, you get a notification sent to your phone.  Something like:

"John Gallagher Jr. commented on your photo.  Ha ha ha that's an awesome face! To receive status updates from John Gallagher Jr. reply with 'status'."

...Wait, what?  To receive status updates from...To my phone?  Like Twitter does?  So you're saying that Facebook will send your friends' status updates to your phone in the exact same way Twitter does?  That's weird...

Now I was on my dashboard page (for Blogger) and noticed a link at the very bottom that said "learn how to start mobile blogging".  I didn't look too far into it, but it looks like it's a way for you to blog from your phone!  I don't want to sign up for this service, so I don't know if you can receive updates from the blogs you follow or not, but if you can't, that ability can't be far off!

You know I'm starting to re-think the angle of this post.  Maybe it's not Twitter that's taking over.  Maybe it's cell phones!

That's probably it.

You see people texting ALL OVER THE PLACE.  Even when they're in a REAL LIFE CONVERSATION with someone!  It drives me nuts.

Sorry to bust your balls, Twitter.  It's not your fault.  I blame cell phones, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment