Sunday, November 14, 2010

Science, Sentimental Farewells, Snowboarding, and a Song

I kept waking up last night and then not being able to fall asleep.

I hate it when that happens.  Mostly I hate it now because my hamster is nocturnal and her wheel is really squeaky, so whenever I fall asleep I just hear "squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak" from the hamstard, and then sometimes she stops and runs over and crunches on her food, or chews on the bars (which is also really loud and annoying).

So sometime near 4:00 I woke up for the first time.

Digression: Whenever I wake up in the middle of the night, it's always at 4 first, unless I just wake up a little early, then it's like, 6 or 7.  But usually 4.

So when I woke up, I checked the time (hey, ten past 4, what a surprise) then laid awake trying to think of a way to fall back asleep.  Then hamstard went to work chewing on her bars like there was no tomorrow.  Which was ridiculous, because technically it already WAS tomorrow.  Dumbass.

At that point I conducted a scientific experiment (that I saw on Mythbusters).  I covered one eye with both of my hands, then stared at my lamp with the other eye.  When I shut the light off I could see perfectly fine out of the eye that had been covered, but the eye that was looking at the light couldn't see anything.  Also when I opened both eyes at the same time, the eye that had been exposed to the light felt like it had just been poked.

Uhh...  I don't want to talk about it.

So then somehow I fell asleep.  I woke up again at, like, 5, and my mom was saying bye to me (because she's going off on some long business trip of some sort).  I said bye, then fell asleep again.

At that point I had a dream.  It was really short.  I went snowboarding with Lily.  I know she was there, but I don't know if she was snowboarding or skiing or what.  The first time I went down a trail, I did fine.  The second time, I went down the entire thing on my butt (because I hadn't strapped my other foot in the board yet).  I was trying to stop, but I couldn't.  Somehow though, I could still steer.  A little.  I only figured out I could steer when I was dangerously close to dropping off the edge of a green circle into the mouth of a TRIPPLE BLACK DIAMOND!!  Or something.  So I was like "okay, I'll just steer away from the edge."  That plan worked well until it...stopped working.  I slid off the edge and down this icy wall of sheer ice.  Like, straight down.  At some point I guess I hit terminal velocity (you know these things in a dream) and it wasn't even that fast, because when I hit the ground I didn't break anything.  I just sort of kept sliding until I was in front of the lodge.  And one of the art teachers from my school was there.  He was like "what are you doing?" and I was like "I decided to try the Break Your Ass rout".  Somehow I lost a glove on the mountain, and I only discovered that it had been lost when I got home and noticed I was only wearing one glove.  But that's okay, because the other glove was really in the trunk of the car.

Then I guess I went back to the beginning of the dream, because I was at the snowboard rental place with Eli, and the guy was like "regular or goofy?" and I pushed Eli from behind and his left foot went forward so I said "goofy".  That's how snowboarding works.

Also at some point in the dream I found my iPod and put it in my left jeans pocket and was like "there, now I know where it is, and when I wake up I'll still have it!"  ...That's not how that works.  My iPod's still missing.  :(

The next time I woke up, it was like 7.  I had to pee, but I also wanted to just sleep.  It was light enough out that I knew if I got up and started moving around, it'd be harder to fall back asleep.  For a while I just willed myself to go back to sleep, but eventually I realized that wasn't going to work.  At that point, not only had I realized I would have to get up, and therefore have a harder time going back to sleep, but I had also wasted about a half hour of getting-back-to-sleep time.  So I got up and peed.

I think that's when I got the song stuck in my head.  It's a song by Pink (I'm pretty sure) that's on the radio now.  The only lines I know are "so raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways" and "won't you come on and, come on and raise your glass".  It's a song that I think I would like if I knew the words to it, but since I don't know the words, it's just kind of this song that's hanging out at the back of my mind, waiting for me to stop thinking long enough for it to move in and take over, halting productivity for a good 10-15 seconds.

Then I woke up at nine, and went downstairs and ate pancakes and drank coffee.  Omnomnom.

No comments:

Post a Comment