Monday, December 6, 2010

Punctuation—It happens in real life!

So as you all know, I was in Little Shop of Horrors as Audrey.  (B.T. Dubs, congrats to the whole cast!  Especially Megan.  I know you're still sneaking around on this blog without actually following me.  I know you're there!)

Anyway, the highlight of my costume for the show was a pair of silver 5" heels.  They made my feet want to die.  They also made me about an inch and a half taller than Boyfriend.  That's not the point.

The point is wearing these shoes is basically suicide.

Our set was pretty cool.  We have a really small stage at my school, so we have to make do with what we have.  We built "Mushnik's Flower Shop" on the stage, with a door to the outside.  On the front of the stage we put a "stoop" which was really just four steps pushed up against the stage.  These steps were made out of old, kinda rough wood.  You know, the kind with knots in it and small gouges along one side...  Also next to the stairs there are wood crates and small barrels on either side.

Well, I have a line that goes "You don't know the half of it.  I deserved a creep like Orin Scrivello, D.D.S."  (At this point in the show SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS Orin's dead.  This line is funny because Audrey is so used to addressing him as "Doctor" or introducing him as "Orin Scrivello, D.D.S." that she does it even after he dies.)

I'm supposed to cross the front of the stage on "you don't know the half of it", walk down a few stairs on "I deserved a creep like" and then sit down on "Orin Scrivello, D.D.S.".  I got to the top of the stairs and was saying "I deserved a creep like Orin Scrivello" when one of my heels got caught in a knot on the top step.  The top step of four.  I managed to blurt out "Orin Scrivello", but at that point I couldn't save myself, and I knew I was falling.  I also knew that if I fell I would land either on the stairs or the old, creaky, splintery crates and barrels to either side of me.

So I didn't fall.

I jumped.

And landed.

And said "D.D.S."

And the audience laughed.

Oh, Megan, I got this for you:

2 comments:

  1. THERE.
    I AM NOW A FOLLOWER OF YOUR BLOG.
    I WILL ALSO POINT OUT THAT I WAS FORCED TO LIE DOWN TWICE DUE TO THAT PICTURE.

    ReplyDelete