Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Difference

Here's the difference between waking up on time and knowing you'll be able to get out of the house when you have to, and waking up about fifty minutes late and knowing it's a lost cause:

When you wake up on time, you go though your routine as normal.

6:00
Wake up, make my way to the bathroom. Stick my head under the sink for about five minutes. Wash face. Blow-dry hair, style. Do makeup. Brush teeth. Etc.

6:20
Head back to my room. Get dressed. Gather together anything from my room that I want for school; books etc.

6:30
Breakfast. Start Cream of Wheat, make coffee. Cream of Wheat is ready at 6:40. Eat.

6:50
Check facebook, etc. Gather all of school things into bag.

7:00
Start car (in the winter) to let it warm up. Grab a bag of Goldfish for a snack.

7:10
Leave.

Now, one would think that when I wake up fifty minutes late, this schedule would transpose itself perfectly, adding fifty minutes to each scheduled time. Right?

Wrong.

Since I woke up fifty minutes late, my body knows for sure it's not going to make it out the door at 7:10. Therefore it just takes the time it needs to do whatever it needs to do.

Why then, does my schedule look like this?

6:50
Wake up, get to bathroom, stick head in tub (it's faster than the sink), blow-dry hair, don't bother with makeup.

7:00
Change pants, don't bother changing shirt I slept in.

7:05
Start coffee. Start breakfast. Cream of Wheat. Take off heat early because I can stand it being a little more soupy as long as there's enough sugar in it.

7:10
Eat

7:20
Coffee in mug, I can deal with having no Goldfish today, leave.

I woke up fifty minutes late, and left ten minutes late.

Seeing as I usually have about fifteen minutes to spare when I get in to school in the morning, I should get in five minutes early for class.

Except I got stuck in traffic.

And ended up getting in fifteen minutes late.

So that means I got in thirty minutes later than usual because I woke up fifty minutes late and left ten minutes late.

...Math...?

No comments:

Post a Comment